To study abroad or apply to universities the first thing that comes to mind is the English proficiency test. IELTS and TOEFL, evaluate the English level of the students, by testing the ability of reading, writing, speaking, and listening. Getting the required score for a top university all over the world is quite hard for non-native English speakers. Also, it costs a lot if you cannot get the required score on the first attempt. So Is it possible to study abroad without IELTS?
Although the score of the IELTS and TOEFL is demanded by top universities, some universities grant admission without the need for English proficiency test and let to study in their universities.
There are many universities in many countries like Canada, Germany, UK, Australia, and Norway which grant admission without IELTS and TOEFL. To get admission without these tests, those universities provide a Pathway program. By this program, students can grant admission in universities where they don’t accept high school results to grant admission.
On the other hand, some universities grant admission to students who lived or studied where English was the primary language at least for four or five years.
Apply to universities in Canada without IELTS
Many Canadian universities accept students if they meet any of the following criteria:
• If they have qualified other English proficiency tests like TOEFL
• If they are studied in a medium-English school for four or five years
• If they are from a native-English country
• If they have passed a language semester or a year in a university
If a student meets one of these conditions, he is probably eligible to study in Canadian universities which do not demand the English proficiency test.
In the next, I will introduce you to five Canadian universities which grant admission without IELTS.
• Brock University
• University of Winnipeg
• University of Saskatchewan
• Memorial University of Newfoundland and Labrador
• Cambrian College
Apply to universities in the UK without IELTS
If you want to study at a UK university or any university all over the world, you must have scored above 70% in the twelfth standard. Also, you should able to communicate English at a very good level including the skill of writing and speaking.
In the next, I will introduce you to some universities which grant admission without IELTS or TOEFL
• Sheffield Hallam University
• Birmingham City University
• Brunel University
• The University of Lincoln
• Bangor University
• Robert Gordon University
They offer graduate and undergraduate courses in many disciplines. Also, if your last educational institution certifies that your medium of study was English, many universities admit you.
Apply to universities in the US without IELTS
There aren’t many universities that admit a student without demanding IELTS or TOEFL. If you have passed a year or more full-study in any US institution, you will not need an English proficiency test. The State University of New York offers students who have cleared IELP.
If you want to get admission to Pace University, they offer you a pathway program if you do not meet the English language requirements. Also, you can apply to the New York Institute of Technology, which does not demand IELTS or TOEFL.
Apply to universities in Australia without IELTS
There are eight universities in Australia which accept you without IELTS or TOEFL by some circumstances:
- The University of Queensland
- Macquarie University
- Swinburne University of Technology
- The University of Southern Queensland
- Bond University
- The University of South Australia
- The University of Adelaide
- The University of New South Wales
They give you an admission under some circumstances like:
• The student must have completed a full-time course where English was the medium of instruction (The University of Queensland)
• If he has worked in an English-speaking work environment for at least five years (The University of Queensland)
• If he accepts an English program before the commencement of the course. (The University of Adelaide and Macquarie University)
• Passing alternative tests like CAE, PTE (Bond University and The University of South Australia)
• Students whose secondary education’s medium of instruction was English (Southern Queensland, Bond University and the Swinburne University of Technology)
• Undertaking USQ pathway programs for admission to the university (University of Southern Queensland)
Apply to universities in France without IELTS
There are some universities in France too which exempt the students from taking IELTS or TOEFL tests.
• Toulouse Business School
• SKEMA Business School
• Paris School of Business
• NEOMA Business School
• INSEEC Business School
• ESLSCA Business School
• ESC Rennes School of Business, France
• EPITA Graduate School of Computer Science
Apply to universities in Norway
If you want to study abroad or in Norway, the University of Oslo exempts South African students from IELTS or TOEFL test. The students from other parts of the world may need to take the English proficiency test.
Apply to universities in Malaysia without IELTS
After Singapore, Malaysia is one of the best places to study. There are students from all over the world there to study. There is no need for IETLS and TOEFL in Malaysia for studying Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Ph.D. courses there.
Apply to universities in Germany
Studying in Germany doesn’t require IETLS or TOEFL. Whether you are a native English speaker or having a bachelor’s degree from a school in which English was the major language, there is no need for those tests. They will ask you for a letter from your previous school to prove your English proficiency.
Apply to universities in India when you don’t have IELTS
There are also universities in India which accept students from all over the world without having taken IELTS or TOEFL tests. Although most subjects in these universities are taught in English, they don’t need language proficiency from your old school. In the following, I will introduce you to these universities.
• University of Calcutta
• Banaras Hindu University
• University of Mumbai
• University of Delhi
Apply to universities in the Netherlands without IELTS
The universities of the Netherlands also like Norway exempt South African students from IELTS and TOEFL tests or prover their language proficiency. So, if you are from South African, good for you.
Of course, with having taken the IELTS and TOEFL test, you will have more chance to study abroad, but if you can’t get the needed score in these exams, it will be very expensive for you. Also, taking the TOEFL and IELTS can be very difficult for non-native English speakers.
So, to study abroad without IETLS or TOEFL you can apply to these universities. it all up to you whether you want to take these tests or not.